Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Unanswered Prayers Part2

Well Maria certainly didn't turn out to be the mother I had in mind. At that time, she had a long time live in boyfriend, and owned her own swimming pool business. The problem was her live in turned out to be an alcoholic as well(only he would manage to hide it while working) She would do her share of drinking as well and when those two got to drinking they would argue and yell at each other, and on rare occasion he would hit her. She would sit me down and tell me that not to let any man hit me and so on. I knew many of the fights where because of me, He didn't like the idea of a child being in their life. My self esteem started to the spiral even further down than before.
I have heard most of my life statistically children of disfunctional family will become disfunctional themselves. I had lived with my aunt and unclea few years prior, and got into a bit of trouble with my cousin, my aunt made the comment to me "No wonder my dad was a drunk, he had to deal with me"That scarred me and I thought it to be true.Living with Maria, I was failing in school and could not make many friends and unable to find my own identity. I was feeling unloved and unwanted. I contemplated suicide, down rite had the razor blade at my wrist crying for release from all the pain. Naturally I was caught by some friends and from there I had counseling. Maria had reinforced that she did love me and that my dad does love me but had his priorities set wrong, and that he had a disease and had explained what disease was really someone who was not at ease with them self and therefore tried to find his comfort in alcohol and there really was nothing that any one person could do to help him but he had to be willing to help himself first.
She had decided that her live in boyfriend was not the right thing to have in her or my life and she finally got rid of him and gave up drinking herself. I was still going through a phase of trying to find myself and had some Friends that got me into stealing form stores, didn't take long for her to find out and made me return the stuff to every store with police escort at hand, and was VERY lucky not to go to jail. She definitely kept a tight leash and a close eye on me for a good while. I was more ashamed and embarrassed out of the whole ordeal. Lying didn't turn out to be my strong point either. there have been several time she had to boot my butt to get me in line. I later figured I'd better give up either cause I wasn't any good at it.
It took me two years to realize that I hadn't moved and she wasn't going to let me go. There where several times that my father had tried to fight to get me back in his home or go with him wherever it was he wanted to take me, but she stood and fought him every step of the way she even wanted to legally adopt me but without my dad not signing over his parental rights she couldn't do it, but luckily she did get a contract from him stating that if he showed stable home for more than a year and showed effort in sobriety for over than a year, Natrally he failed. So two years of a stable home someone to give me the love and disipline that I needed and craved I finally Called he Mom. For the first time in my life I felt I had a Mom of my own.
To be Continued....

3 comments:

Even So... said...

Interesting, God's grace is and will be with you...

Dan said...

I find it amazing when I look back through my life and hear of others pasts that God was orchestrating, even then, our futures and His plans for us.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Tory (sp?)
Thank you for sharing with us. We are so glad you are a part of our family!